The Flash Season 4 Blu-ray Review: All Crisis on Earth-X Episodes And More!
While capturing the magic of the first season is tough for a lot of shows out there, the fourth season of The Flash was very enjoyable. You can now own The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season on Blu-ray and DVD to rewatch all 23 episodes (including the entire Crisis on Earth-X crossover) as well as enjoy some extra content.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment provided me with a free copy of the Blu-ray I reviewed in this Blog Post. The opinions I share are my own.
The third season of The Flash didn’t end well for Barry and his team. For a lot of fans, a generally light show taking some dark turns came as a surprise. Barry was trapped in the Speed Force. H.R. Wells sacrificed himself, and Caitlin disappeared because of her Killer Frost issues. The fourth season picked up after these events and I enjoyed going on the same adventure again with Team Flash as I binge-watched The Flash season 4 Blu-ray.
With a thinned out Team Flash, Wally West/Kid Flash took it upon himself to be the main hero. It was fun seeing him try and master his powers. It made me remember the training Barry had to go through. Cisco/Vibe had to learn more about his own powers, too. I also liked Iris West taking on a more immersive role in Team Flash.
The team doesn’t remain small for long, though. Of course, Cisco is able to figure out how to bring back Barry. Caitlin also comes back. I would have liked the show to talk more about her Killer Frost side. Ralph Dibney, the Elongated Man, is a new recruit and serves as comedic relief.
Another enjoyable thing about The Flash season 4 were the main villains. Instead of another speedster, Team Arrow had to deal with The Thinker. It was a nice change of pace to see Barry and the rest confront someone who is always many steps ahead of them. There was also crime lord Amunet Black, the former boss of Norvok and Caitlin.
As for the packaging of The Flash season 4 Blu-ray, the front has the main artwork while the back has a season synopsis along with a list of extra features. The 4-disc Blu-ray set comes with a 108p/MPEG-4 AVC encoded transfer (aspect ratio of 1.78:1). The video presentation is as vibrant and crisp as one might expect from such releases by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The audio is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.
The extra content in The Flash season 4 Blu-ray include:
- The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels San Diego 2017 – An approximately 1-hour long look at highlights from DC TV’s shows panels. It is the same feature found in home releases of Arrow season 6 and Gotham season 4. (Disc 4).
- Inside the Crossover: Crisis on Earth-X – Around 42-minutes long, this feature is a roundtable discussion of showrunners/producers of the series that took part in the mega-crossover event. It is the same as the one in the Arrow season 6 home release. It offers an enjoyable insight into the hard work it took to plan and execute such an undertaking on television. (Disc 2).
- The Elongated Man – A 10-minute long feature on the Elongated Man and how he was able to offer some comic relief after the dark turn season 3 took. (Disc 3).
- Flash Time on Amunet Black with Katee, Eric, and Sterling – Approximately 14-minutes long, this content talks about Amunet Black. (Disc 3).
- The Fastest Mind Alive: The Thinker – Coming in at nearly 16-minutes, we get to know about The Thinker, his comic book origins, his role in the fourth season, and more. (Disc 4).
As well as giving you all of the episodes showing the Crisis on Earth-X crossover, The Flash season 4 Blu-ray also includes a 9-minute long gag reel in Disc 1 and eight deleted scenes spread across the discs.
With a Digital version included with the extra content you will be getting, The Flash season 4 Blu-ray is currently available for $54.97 SRP. It is also available as a 5-disc DVD set for $49.99 SRP. You can also own the entire season on Digital.
As a fan of The Flash, I recommend picking up The Flash season 4 Blu-ray not just to binge-watch the series but to also enjoy the entire list of extra features it comes with.
The Flash will be back for a fifth season on The CW on October 9, 2018.
Have you bought The Flash season 4 Blu-ray yet? Let us know.
Farid has a Masters in Psychology and an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Arousing the Legacy, Missing in Somerville, The Game Master of Somerville, and The Escaped Murderer of Somerville. He gives us insight on comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.