Steven Universe Fandom Is Out of Its Depth (In Too Deep Week 1 Recap)
In Too Deep has landed with a doozy of a two-part episode and the Steven Universe fandom is screaming as loud as Alexandrite did. (And possibly breathing fire. Our hearts go out to any melted keyboards).
Members of the voice cast lit up Twitter last night with the liveblog hashtag #SUReturns. Keep the hype alive throughout the next three weeks by tweeting #InTooDeep and #StevenUniverse!
Here’s what’s on the our minds:
- Is Jasper [expletive] dead, or did they carefully not show her face because her Gem is cracked? Fact is, her voice actor (Kimberly Brooks) was in the recording booth just eight days ago, so #JasperLives. This of course doesn’t mean we can’t meme about her demise.
- Amethyst was reunited with her beloved torta.
- This awesome Cluster cake the Crewniverse ate in honor of Gem Drill!
- Speaking of, wow. The Cluster was beautiful. We maybe want to date the Cluster. And we don’t think its story is done.
- Malachite got rekt. Everyone loves Alexandrite. Some still wonder if we have yet to see her unique weapon (assuming it’s not her amazing fire breath).
- Peridot has adorable, terrible handwriting. Just one more reason she’s the most relatable character on the show. And how far she’s come, genuinely caring for Steven! Caring about the Earth!
- The Watermelon Stevens were three parts adorable, one part creepy (melon sacrifice to Malachite!), and all around great.
- The musical callbacks in this episode, to the original “Watermelon Steven” and Alexandrite’s theme from “Fusion Cuisine,” were epic as usual.
- Some folks believed the conclusions of two major plot points — Malachite and the Cluster — were way too rushed. Honestly, people always complain about the length of Steven Universe episodes. I think combining these two elements gave the two-parter a delicious heightened sense of urgency, and gave the other Steven Universe two-part episodes (“Mirror Gem” / “Ocean Gem” and “The Return” / “Jail Break”) a run for their money.
For funsies, take this strawpoll to vote on what your favorite episode was!
Author: K-K Bracken
K-K Bracken grew up overseas and in the Washington, DC area, went to the Ohio State University to get her BA in English, and has been in Columbus, Ohio ever since. She is working on her first novel and co-wrote the book for “Edit:Undo,” a musical featured at the Kennedy Center.
**Read our policies before commenting.**
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube.
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.