With the Aquaman solo live-action film releasing on December 21, 2018, it makes sense for Warner Bros. to capitalize on the hype. The Justice League: Throne of Atlantis – Commemorative Edition includes the 2015 animated film along with tons of extra content to make this current release a must-have for collectors.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment provided me with a free copy of the Blu-ray I review in this blog post. The opinions are my own.
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis was released back in January 2015. It was directed by Ethan Spaulding from a script by Heath Corson. The voice cast had Matt Lanter as Aquaman, Sam Witwer as Orm, Jason O’Mara as Batman, Christopher Gorham as Flash, Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern, Shemar Moore as Cyborg, Rosario Dawson as Wonder Woman, Jerry O’Connell as Superman, Sean Astin as Shazam, Sumalee Montano as Mera, Sirena Irwin as Queen Atlanna, and Harry Lennix as Manta. Sam Register served as executive producer with James Tucker as supervising producer.
Here’s the synopsis:
In Justice League: Throne of Atlantis – Commemorative Edition, Cyborg discovers an imminent threat in the depths of the oceans so powerful that it rallies together the newly formed Justice League. Meanwhile, wandering thousands of feet above the ocean floor is drifter Arthur Curry, a man with strange powers who may be the last chance to bridge the ancient Atlantean world with our own. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest of DC’s Justice League must band together as they face off against warmongering Orm, an army of sea creatures, otherworldly weapons and perilous odds. In this all-new epic adventure from the DC Universe, mankind’s only hope of escaping from the darkness lies with the guiding light of a man – Aquaman!
Check out the trailer!
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis features Arthur Curry not knowing about his half-Atlantean heritage. When Orm/Ocean Master takes over the throne from Queen Atlanna he begins his plan to destroy the surface world before the humans end all marine life through pollution. Arthur has no choice but to discover who he is and accept his destiny. It is your typical superhero story about self-discovery. Arthur also gets a lot of help from Mera and ends up joining the Justice League.
While many of you might have already watched this film, it is the extra content included in Justice League: Throne of Atlantis – Commemorative Edition and the stunning 4K Ultra HD 2160p Ultra High Definition 16×9 Widescreen (1.78:1) video presentation which might persuade you to buy this home release.
Take note, the Commemorative Edition includes two new bonus features. The rest of the extra content was present in the film’s original release.
The special features are:
- Aquaman: The New King (NEW featurette) (14:50 min) – This is an immersive look at Arthur Curry’s evolution from a guardian of the ocean to the King of Atlantis and a key member of the Justice League.
- Audio Commentary (NEW) – I recommend getting this home release because of the audio commentary alone. It features renowned former DC Editor and current Creative Director of Animation Mike Carlin, Creative Director of Animation, and Throne of Atlantis screenwriter Heath Corson.
- Scoring Atlantis: The Sound of the Deep (Featurette) (30:05 min) – I’m not much of a soundtrack fan, but I did appreciate the length of this featurette.
- Robin and Nightwing Bonus Sequence (03:50 min) – You get producer James Tucker providing video commentary in this one.
- Throne of Atlantis: 2014 New York Comic Con Panel – The panel consists of Matt Lanter, producer James Tucker, screenwriter Heath Corson, character designer Phil Bouras, a and dialogue director Andrea Romano.
- Villains of the Deep (Featurette) (11:33 min) – Get to know about the background of certain villains Aquaman has faced.
- Throne of Atlantis Soundtrack – The entire soundtrack!
- A Sneak Peek at The Death of Superman
- A Sneak Peek at Reign of the Supermen
- Bonus cartoons from the DC Comics Vault:
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold, “Aquaman’s Outrageous Adventure!”
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold, “Evil Under the Sea!”
- Aquaman, “Menace of The Black Manta” and “The Rampaging Reptile-Men”
- Justice League Unlimited, “Far from Home”
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis – Commemorative Edition is currently available. It will cost you $24.98 SRP for the Blu-ray Combo Pack (includes Digital Copy), and $29.98 SRP for the 4K Ultra HD Combo (which also includes a Digital Copy).
Are you a fan of Aquaman? Let us know.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary