To the World: Celebrate Good Omens Day by Averting the Apocalypse
Good Omens fans have been looking forward to celebrating Earth’s “birthday” today… And then Neil Gaiman made Good Omens Day official on Twitter!
The Good Omens fandom has had our calendars marked for October 21 ever since we fell in love with this amazing (canon!) nonbinary (canon!) romance about averting the apocalypse. So when we received a call to action by the co-author and showrunner to avert the *actual* apocalypse, how could we turn him down?
First, a quick refresher on Good Omens fandom lore for those reading along who are new to the show. Within the first few minutes, the delightfully satirical religious theme is established when God herself confirms the birthday of the Earth once and for all…down to the exact minute:
“…Archbishop James Usher claimed that the Heaven and the Earth were created on Sunday, the 21st of October, 4004 BC at 9:00 A.M. This too was incorrect…by almost a quarter of an hour. It was created at 9:13 in the morning, which WAS correct.”
-God, Good Omens Episode 1
Here is a list of real life things the Earth would probably appreciate you doing for its fictional birthday:
1. Take a Carbon Neutral Challenge.
2. Go on a walk through a natural area and bring a bag to pick up trash.
3. Find your local chapter of the Sierra Club and RSVP to an upcoming event.
4. Follow environmental advocacy and protection organizations on social media in an effort to widen your news sources and hear about important issues you might not otherwise notice. On Facebook, click the dropdown “following” menu and click “see first.” On Twitter, consider signing up for notifications whenever your favorite organization tweets.
- In honor of the Amazon Rainforest, let’s start with the Rainforest Alliance:
- Here’s the Sierra Club again!
- Is your poinT about doplhinssss? Check out the Ocean Conservancy. (suggested by @tatianaporfin on twitter)
- Looking for a more Good Omens themed group? The UK branch of the World Wide Fund for Nature tweeted their thanks for someone’s donation on Neil’s thread.
- Looking for a more all-purpose group? Environmental Defense Fund!
- …And in honor of today also being Carrie Fisher’s birthday, don’t forget to save the humans, too, with The National Alliance on Mental Illness.
5. Pick one or more of the above organizations to donate to.
6. Using the above pages as a guide, spend time educating yourself about local and worldwide environmental concerns.
7. Call your elected officials about the topic from your research that they have the biggest chance to make a difference on.
(Bonus: Write a post about the thing you did and encourage others to follow your example.)
Author: Corellon Johnson
Corellon is an engineer, cosplayer, group admin, creative fandom polymath, and chaotic good paladin of Carrie Fisher.
They’ve run over 50 fan panels and con events and can be found starting way too many projects in the Good Omens, Bioware, and Star Wars fandoms.
Newport News, Virginia, USA
*Read our before commenting.*
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.