When Blockers premiered in theatres last month, I had no idea the John Cena, Leslie Mann, and Ike Barinholtz starring comedy about high school girls wanting to lose their virginity would end up being a well-written film with queer representation. You can own it on Digital and Movies Anywhere on June 19, 2018. It’ll be released on Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand on July 3, 2018. I recommend you watch it.
Courtesy of Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, the Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital releases of Blockers will also feature unrated bonus content for fans to enjoy. The film is the directorial debut of Kay Cannon (writer of the Pitch Perfect series).
Here’s the official synopsis:
When three parents (Cena, Mann and Barinholtz) stumble upon their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal. BLOCKERS also features teenage newcomers led by rising actress, Kathryn Newton (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Big Little Lies), Geraldine Viswanathan (EMO The Muscial), Gideon Adlon (“American Crime,” “Girl Meets World”), Graham Phillips (“Riverdale,” “The Good Wife”), Miles Robbins (“Mozart in the Jungle”) and Jimmy Bellinger (“The Middle”). Also joining in on the fun are comedic supporting cast members Gary Cole (“Veep,” Office Space), Gina Gershon (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”), Hannibal Buress (“Broad City,” Neighbors 2), Colton Dunn (“Key and Peele,” “Superstore”) and June Diane Raphael (“Grace and Frankie,” “New Girl”).
The trailer doesn’t do justice to this well-written film, making it look like your typical teen comedy in which female sexuality needs to be policed.
The bonus features you can enjoy include:
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel – The entire cast contributes to these on-set flubs.
- Line-O-Rama – The laughs continue after the take!
- Rescue Mission – Being a parent isn’t easy, as Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz, and John Cena make abundantly clear. Hear them and director Kay Cannon discuss parental mistakes and lessons learned. They even top it off with a good old-fashioned car explosion!
- Prom Night – Filmmakers and cast discuss how they achieved the perfect prom look and also share some of their own personal prom stories.
- The History of Sex with Ike Barinholtz – Ike Barinholtz explains the origins of human sexuality and its evolution through time.
- John Cena’s Prom Survival Kit for Parents – John Cena shows off a survival kit filled with items that will help parents survive the most stressful time of year – prom season!
- Chug! Chug! Chug! – The film introduced the world to the concept of “butt chugging.” Hear cast, crew, and butt-chugger John Cena discuss how they handled this standout scene.
- Puke-a-Palooza – One memorable scene involves copious amounts of projectile vomit. See what cast, filmmakers, and crew went through to make sure the puke was as authentic as possible.
Blockers is Rated R. It has a runtime of 1 hour and 40 minutes.
The Blu-ray is presented in (Aspect Ratio) 16:9 2.40:1 Widescreen with the sound being English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/ Dolby Digital 2.0.
The DVD release is in (Aspect Ratio) 16:9 2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen with the sound being English Dolby Digital 5.1/ Dolby Digital 2.0.
As of writing this, Blockers has been able to gross $81.6 million at the worldwide box office on a $21 million production budget.
If you are looking for a female-centric teen comedy that is actually funny and talks about a number of themes (including queer representation) in a respectable manner, you should definitely check out Blockers.
Feel free to share your thoughts with us.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary