“Friday the 13th: The Game” Ultimate Slasher Edition Coming to Nintendo Switch This August!
In exciting news for slasher-game fans, the “gruesome third-person horror survival” title Friday the 13th: The Game will be releasing on Nintendo Switch in North American retail stores come August 13, 2019, with the Ultimate Slasher Edition, courtesy of distributor Nighthawk Interactive.
The upcoming Ultimate Slasher Edition will include the full base game, all released downloadable content (DLC) and even an 11”x17” limited-edition poster. The physical Switch copies are currently available for pre-orders through GameStop and Amazon for an MSRP of $39.99. It will be coming soon to retailers including Best Buy and Target.
According to the press release, publisher Gun Media and developer Black Tower Studios are bringing Friday the 13th: The Game to Nintendo Switch for the first time, “as a love letter to the original movie franchise with iconic film locations and character models painstakingly recreated down to the bloody details.”
The gameplay “pits” eight players against each other, either as one of the seven teen counselors or as the iconic killer Jason Voorhees.
As a counselor, you must search for the tools to survive, escape or even try to take down Jason. As Jason, you will rely on his array of abilities to track, hunt and kill his prey.
Furthermore, “the teens need to contend with time itself, too, as Jason not only feeds off the fear of his victims but also becomes stronger as the night progresses.”
Friday the 13th: The Game Ultimate Slasher Edition for the Nintendo Switch includes:
- All DLC and Retail Exclusive Content: In addition to all previously released DLC – including 10 single player challenges, new maps, characters, counselor outfits, Jason skins, additional kills for Jason and the complete Virtual Cabin experience – the physical edition also offers exclusive Bloody Jason Skins and clothing packs.
- Eight-Person Multiplayer and Single Player Modes: On maps spanning multiple iconic locations from the movie franchise, players will match up online as either Jason Voorhees or a Camp Counselor trying to survive the night. Players seeking lower pressure slasher fun can take the fight offline in matches with AI bots.
- Killer Variety: Players can don the mask of their favorite incarnations of Jason Voorhees as depicted in films two through nine. Each Jason is hand-crafted with specific strengths, weaknesses, and exclusive brutal kills. The retail edition offers even more brutal execution options, with the Pick Axe, Pig Splitter and Machete Kill Packs.
- Character Customization: As players level up, they will unlock new playable Counselor and Jason models that can be purchased with Customization Points (CPs). CPs also unlock new kills for Jason, game-changing perks that help Camp Counselors survive the night, emotes for self-expression, and various regalia appropriate for a funeral … or seven. The retail edition includes the Spring Break ’84 Clothing and Halloween Costume Packs for players to try on before the murder party.
- Franchise Authenticity: The game draws expertise from horror icons including Sean S. Cunningham (director/creator of Friday the 13th), Tom Savini (FX legend and effects director of Friday the 13th), composer Harry Manfredini (various compositions from the franchise) and Kane Hodder (Jason Voorhees actor; Part 7, 8 and 9).
This game is rated M for Mature by the ESRB.
Take note, it doesn’t include the Kickstarter/Backer exclusive “Savini Jason” character or the backer exclusive clothing pack.
Feel free to share your thoughts with us.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
*Read our before commenting.*
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.