Oscars 2019 List Of Nominations! Queer Films & Black Panther Recognized!
The Oscars 2019 nominations are in and you know what? I’m very happy with some of the lists. This year’s Oscar Ceremony will be recognizing (even if these are just nominations) a number of queer films and the worthy Black Panther.
I will be going over the Oscars 2019 categories I’m the most excited about and offer my opinion about the likely winners. You can read the full list of the Oscars 2019 nominations if you want.
- Black Panther
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- The Favourite
- Green Book
- A Star is Born
This is a tricky one. I’m glad Black Panther got a nomination because it was more than just a typical comic book superhero movie. But I don’t think it will win. I wouldn’t be surprised if Roma, Green Book, or Bohemian Rhapsody take home the Oscar. With the controversy around the two queer films, Roma would be the more logical choice.
- Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)
- Adam McKay (Vice)
- Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
- Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
- Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)
It is Spike Lee’s time get his Oscar. It is surprising this is his first nomination! I think this win can go to Lee or Cuaron.
- Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Christian Bale (Vice)
- Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)
- Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
- Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)
Give Christian Bale an Oscar for Vice already! Malek could be a close second in this one.
- Glenn Close (The Wife)
- Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
- Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
- Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
While Aparicio is very good in Roma, I think it will go to Close.
Best supporting actress
- Emma Stone (The Favourite)
- Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)
- Amy Adams (Vice)
- Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
- Marina De Tavira (Roma)
I do hope King wins, but I wouldn’t be surprised if De Tavira does.
Best animated feature
- Incredibles 2
- Ralph Breaks the Internet
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Isle of Dogs
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse every time! I do think it should have gotten a Best Picture nomination as well, but I guess the Academy couldn’t handle two superhero flicks on that list.
Best costume design
- Black Panther (Ruth E Carter)
- The Favourite (Sandy Powell)
- Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
- Mary Queen of Scots (Alexandra Byrne)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Mary Zophres)
With Black Panther not going to win the Best Picture award, I hope it does walk away with this one.
Best visual effects
- First Man
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Ready Player One
- Christopher Robin
The fact Aquaman wasn’t even shortlisted and we have three Disney movies in here is a disgrace! We all know Aquaman is the true winner in this category.
The ceremony will be held on February 24, 2019, and will air live on ABC.
What do you think of the Oscars 2019 nominations? Let us know.
Farid has a Masters in Psychology and an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Arousing the Legacy, Missing in Somerville, The Game Master of Somerville, and The Escaped Murderer of Somerville. He gives us insight on comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.