Harvey Awards Announces New “Best Manga” Category! Nominates LGBTQ+ Manga!
The Harvey Awards have announced the nominees as well as the new categories being introduced for this year’s ceremony, which will celebrate the event’s 30th anniversary. One of the highlights is the new “Best Manga” category with the nominations including queer works.
The new Harvey Awards categories include Best Manga, Book of the Year, Digital Book of the Year, Best European Book, Best Children or Young Adult Book, and Best Adaptation from a Comic Book/Graphic Novel. Eligible industry professionals can go ahead and vote right now. The event will be held in conjunction with New York Comic Con on October 5, 2018.
“We are proud to announce the nominees for the new slate of Harvey Awards. By opening up the process to librarians, educators, retailers and more, we believe that we have an accurate representation of this year’s best graphic works,” said Nellie Kurtzman, co-chair of the Harvey Awards Steering Committee.
“ReedPOP is thrilled to help honor the life and work of the great Harvey Kurtzman by spotlighting the best that this medium has to offer,” said Lance Fensterman, Global President of ReedPOP. “I wish all of our wonderful nominees the best of luck and look forward to the winners being announced at our gala event on the Friday of New York Comic Con.”
Take note that “attendees who have been previously approved for a Pro Badge or Artist Alley Badge at a 2016, 2017 or 2018 ReedPOP comic convention (New York Comic Con, Emerald City Comic Con, C2E2) are automatically eligible to cast their ballot. Voting will conclude on September 3rd.”
The nominees for Best Manga include:
- My Brother’s Husband (Otōto no Otto) by Gengoroh Tagame (Translation by Anne Ishii, published by Pantheon Books)
- My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia) by Kōhei Horikoshi (Translation by Caleb Cook, published by Viz Media)
- My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (Sabishisugite Lesbian Fuzoku ni Ikimashita Report) by Kabi Nagata (Translation by Jocelyne Allen, published by Seven Seas Entertainment)
- Tokyo Ghoul by Sui Ishida (Translation by Joe Yamazaki, published by Viz Media)
- your name. (Kimi no Na wa.) by Makoto Shinkai, Ranmaru Kotone (Translation by Taylor Engel, published by Yen Press)
As a refresher, manga used to be nominated alongside other comics in the Best American Edition of Foreign Material category.
Make sure to read the rest of the nominees in the new categories.
Are you excited about the new Best Manga category? Have you read the nominated works? Let us know.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary