New Horror Comics from ComiXology Originals Releasing This Month!
ComiXology has announced new creator-owned comiXology Originals to be released this October, just in time for Halloween! They are Dracula: Son of the Dragon, Josie and the Pussycats in Space, Tremor Dose, and Afterlift.
Releasing on October 23, 2019, the graphic novel Dracula: Son of the Dragon has been written by Mark Sable with art by Salgood Sam. Josie and the Pussycats in Space Issue 1 has been written by Alex de Campi with art by Devaki Neogi.
On October 30, 2019, comes Tremor Dose, a graphic novel written by Michael Conrad with art by Noah Bailey.
And, announced earlier this year at San Diego Comic-Con, Afterlift Issue 1, written by Chip Zdarsky with art by Jason Loo, will debut on October 30, 2019, as well. Yes, Zdarsky is the same writer who gave us the highly entertaining and very queer The White Trees 2-issue comic book.
Each new comiXology Originals title will be available to read at no additional cost for Amazon Prime, Kindle Unlimited, and comiXology Unlimited members. The titles will be available for purchase on Kindle and comiXology.
“October is more than just a time for pumpkin spice everything, it’s a time for reading great horror comics,” said Chip Mosher, comiXology’s Head of Content, who oversees the comiXology Originals program. “October’s debuts are wickedly entertaining and more than a little frightening. There’s the terrifying origin story of the world’s most famous vampire in Dracula: Son of the Dragon, the unexpected locked-door sci-fi mystery of Josie and the Pussycats in Space, a wildly weird and disturbing psychological thriller about dreams and reality in Tremor Dose. And, of course, the shocking urban supernatural adventure announced at SDCC about a ride-share to a very final destination in Afterlift.”
Here are the details for the titles releasing on October 23, 2019!
Dracula: Son of the Dragon – original graphic novel
- Written by Mark Sable with art by Salgood Sam.
- Dracula: Son of the Dragon is part historical fiction, part horror fantasy and tells the blood-soaked epic of the real-life Vlad the Impaler’s transformation into the vampire Dracula.
- The description reads:
- Mark Sable and Max Douglas, aka Salgood Sam, reunite to tell the story of Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler, Vlad Drucul), the so-called “historical Dracula”. But how did this 15th-century ruler become the world’s most notorious vampire? As an adolescent in Wallachia, young Prince Vlad learns hard lessons in politics and betrayal and is held prisoner of the Ottoman Turks after being introduced to the Dark Arts at the infamous Scholomance in Transylvania. To survive he believes he must kill in the name of God in order to serve the Holy Roman Order of The Dragon—a very secret – but very real – society both Vlad and his father were members of—but at what cost?
Josie and the Pussycats in Space #1 (Archie Comics) – 5-issue comic book series
- Written by Alex de Campi with art by Devaki Neogi.
- Archie Comics’ musical group Josie and the Pussycats goes on tour for the USO…in space.
- The description:
- Josie and the Pussycats are the hottest band in outer space! But with fame and fortune comes turmoil as internal conflicts are threatening to tear the group apart. But that’s nothing compared to the alien horrors they’re about to encounter as they find themselves adrift in the vastness of space! Even if the Pussycats manage to stick together as a band, will they be able to survive the horrors that await them in the final frontier?
For the ones debuting on October 30, 2019!
Tremor Dose – original graphic novel
- Written by Michael Conrad with art by Noah Bailey.
- Noah Baily creates a unique look with striking black and white imagery, paint, ink, and graphite for the haunting and unusual tale.
- The description:
- Everyone dreams, but are these dreams our own? Who controls our thoughts when we’re sleeping? Ginn, is a young college student who has been having wildly disturbing nightmares featuring a man she has never met. When she finds a flyer with his picture and the question, “Have you dreamed this man?” she submits to an interview that begins to unravel her perceptions of reality.
Afterlift #1 – 5-issue comic book series
- Written by Eisner Award and Joe Shuster Award winner, Chip Zdarsky, best known for his work on Sex Criminals and Daredevil, with art by Jason Loo, the acclaimed writer and artist of The Pitiful Human-Lizard.
- The description:
- In Afterlift, Janice Chen is adrift. She quits her day job in finance and signs up to be a driver on a ride-sharing app. But what was at first a mundane but enjoyable way to pass the time takes a terrible turn when a mysterious passenger updates his ride with a very final destination: the afterlife!
Feel free to share your thoughts about these titles with us.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
*Read our before commenting.*
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.