The upcoming “ruthless” RPG title Vagrus: The Riven Realms has announced an October 5, 2021 launch date via IGN at Gamescom.
The announcement brought along a brand new trailer for the award-winning Vagrus: The Riven Realms. During their gameplay session, players will need to form their caravan of companions and be ready to explore a dark fantasy sandbox world that features a number of harsh, challenging environments.
The post-apocalyptic setting is all about focusing on “epic story-telling” and putting forth challenges for players to overcome. The self-proclaimed narrative-heavy sandbox mechanics involves players having to make crucial moral choices in an amoral world while trading, exploring, and adapting their ambitions.
In my opinion, it all does sound quite interesting. I’m a fan of games that give players a rich choice-making mechanic that impacts overplay gameplay. The choices in this RPG include deciding to decimate entire settlements, being compassionate to those in need, showing allegiance to powerful factions at the expense of others, and much more.
Here’s the trailer!
From the trailer, it’s explained that a reliable leader is called a Vagrus (hence the title of the game and what players are expected to do). A Vagrus is supposed to be daring, savvy, and always looking for an opportunity. There definitely seems to be a lot of text. The turn-based battle mechanic looks easy enough to understand. I do like the art style showcasing the various locations.
Vagrus: The Riven Realms is set to release on Steam, GoG, and Fig on October 5th, 2021 for $29.99. The game was funded in part on Fig, being able to raise more than $183,000. Going over the Steam Early Access reviews, while this is a fun and complex game, it is definitely quite challenging and there’s a lot of reading involved. So, keep that in mind.
The Key Features include:
- A dark hand-crafted sandbox world players are free to discover and explore.
- Experiencing a branching narrative with over 1 million words of story and events.
- Extensive lore that’s shared through the game’s vast Codex. The studio’s decades of pen and paper campaigns helped create such a vast world.
- Deep turn-based combat and fighting with your comitatus and companions in strategic, challenging encounters.
- Courting 10 warring factions with their own complex principles and relationships. You can choose who will be your opponents, adversaries, affiliates, and allies.
- Meeting unique characters and recruiting fully-developed companions to your caravan to serve in versatile roles, such as scoutmaster, quartermaster, or guard captain.
- Managing your crew and preparing for treacherous journeys through careful planning.
- Needing to effectively manage supplies, cargo, and crew to survive.
- Digitally hand-painted maps, environments, and 2D artwork.
Are you someone who has played Vagrus: The Riven Realms? What did you think of it?
Let us know.
(via press release)
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary