VIZ Media to Open Portfolio Reviews for New VIZ Originals Imprint
The next stage of development for VIZ Media’s brand-new imprint, VIZ Originals, is here! Aspiring artists and writers are encouraged to apply for portfolio reviews, which will be taking place at some of North America’s premiere pop culture conventions.
VIZ Originals is intended to develop “innovative, English-language creator-owned graphic novel content for a global market”. It is committed to supporting independent artists and writers and working with them to achieve and execute their creative visions.
Led by Executive Editor, Fawn Lau, portfolio evaluations will be held at the following shows:
- Toronto Comics and Arts Festival (Toronto, Canada) – May 11-12
- Anime Central (Rosemont, IL) – May 17-19
- Anime Expo (Los Angeles, CA) – July 4-7
- Comic-Con (San Diego, CA) – July 17-21
- New York Comic Con (New York, NY) – October 3-6
- Anime NYC (New York, NY) – November 15-17
Individuals hoping to have their portfolios reviewed MUST be at least 18 years of age and a registered attendee of the convention. A VIZ Originals portfolio review appointment does not guarantee entrance to the show. To be considered for an appointment, interested applicants must fill out the online form.
To give VIZ Originals the best idea of your talents and good grasp of the breadth and scope of your work, provided portfolios should demonstrate:
- Samples of sequential works that best highlight your art style and storytelling
- Best works that showcase composition, character expressions, and scene details
- Include finished pieces, not only sketch or concept work
- Include original character art pieces – some fan work is acceptable
- Samples of sequential works that highlight writing and story development
- Samples and lists of creative writing work – prose and fan work is acceptable
VIZ Originals is looking to collaborate with independent artists, writers, and creators in order to develop brand new stories that will ignite the imagination. Its original titles are intended to showcase “dynamic paneling, skillful black and white artwork and compelling, diverse stories for both young adult and adult readers”.
For more information on the VIZ Originals imprint, feel free to visit viz.com/originals.
Author: Jamie Sugah
Jamie has a BA in English with a focus in creative writing from The Ohio State University. She self-published her first novel, The Perils of Long Hair on a Windy Day, which is available through Amazon. She is currently an archivist and lives in New York City with her demon ninja vampire cat. She covers television, books, movies, anime, and conventions in the NYC area.
Read our before commenting.
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.