Valorware’s latest installment in the 9th Dawn franchise – 9th Dawn III: Shadow of Erthil – will be available to players on Steam, iOS, Android, Xbox One, PS4, and the Nintendo Switch come October 6, 2020.
While I haven’t played the titles in the 9th Dawn franchise, there seems to be quite a bit of hype around the upcoming installment. 9th Dawn III: Shadow of Erthil has been described as a 2D open-world RPG with a huge fictional setting for players to enjoy. There are dungeons full of more than 270 unique monsters. Players will be able to collect 1,400 uniquely drawn items.
You can journey across the fields of Ashwick, the snowy regions of Halstorm, dense forests of Vlak, and the perilous Hollow Mountains of Scorn.
Here’s the trailer!
I know! There’s a lot going on during combat!
Of course, 9th Dawn III: Shadow of Erthil allows players to improve their warrior. Their character can unlock spells and abilities along with fine-tuning skills and attributes. There’s also a crafting mechanic for cooking, weaponsmithing, spells, and more.
An interesting thing, for me, is the ability to recruit monsters to fight alongside your character. I love RPGs that give you fictional creatures as support. There are also sidequests to help townsfolk.
The upcoming indie title also includes Fyued – a robust card game played throughout the game world with 180 collectible cards.
The Features include:
- Robust creature system: Catch/tame more than 270 different creatures and form a party of up to 10. Level them up and “morph” them back to Level 1, with increased combat power over and over again to raise incredibly strong creatures!
- Improved companion system: Unlock a companion – which has all the same systems as the main player. Switch between yourself and your companion at the click of a button, allowing for exciting combat tactics – and a backup plan if one of the characters dies! Your companion can also have up to 10 creatures out with them.
- Local “couch co-op” 2-player mode (PC/console only): Enjoy the entire main campaign fully with the help of a second player at any time using a drop-in/drop-out system. Player 2 is also a full character with inventory/equipment/abilities/creature party and can switch to the companion as well. Using all 3 characters (2 playable, 1 AI), form a very strong team and have up to 30 creatures out with you.
- Superior animation: Highly animated skeleton-based pixel art for better visual impact and a world that feels more “alive.”
- Ride the lightning: Rideable mounts!
- Improved crafting system: Master 9 trade skills – including cooking, weaponsmithing, spell crafting, and more.
- Craft enchanting Power Gems: Give your equipment some extremely powerful buffs this way – if you’re skilled enough at crafting, that is!
- Relax with a fishing mini-game: Collect up to 24 fish across various regions; just let ’em know you’ve “gone fishing”!
- Huge soundtrack: Featuring an expanded soundtrack (more than an hour of original music) composed and produced by Valorware’s Tom Au.
9th Dawn III: Shadow of Erthil will be released on Steam for $9.99 during the first week on sale, then $15.99 (38% off). The iOS & Android version will cost you $9.99. You can buy it for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch for $15.99.
As for the developer, Valorware is a UK-based game development and publishing company. Valorware is led by solo developer Tom Au and is focused on producing content-rich RPGs.
To learn more about 9th Dawn III: Shadow of Erthil and Valorware, please visit the official website.
Are you a fan of this franchise?
Let us know.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary