Marvel NOW! Young Avengers does wonders for LBGT representation
For me, Young Avengers issue 15 did what no other movie, TV show, or comic book has been able to do for teenage LBGT representation. Not only has the series given us all an amazing story, but its greatest success was the fact that the sexual orientations of the characters weren’t the only part that defined them.
The issue came out on 8 January, 2014, and we can now confirm the following:
- Wiccan and Hulking: Gay and no way they are ever going to breakup. If an inter-dimensional parasite can’t break them up, then nothing can. And apparently Wiccan has become one of the strongest beings in the Marvel NOW! Comic Universe.
- Prodigy: A bisexual male mutant.
- Miss America: A dimension jumping lesbian.
- Loki: Pan-sexual and perhaps more considering the range of his powers. Loved the panel where he made a pass at Prodigy, even as a joke.
- Hawkeye: Probably a bisexual female considering what Miss America said about the way she looked at her.
- Marvel Boy: Don’t know where to place him, but it was nice to know he was keeping his options open.
- Speed: Wiccan’s twin brother. Could be straight or maybe bisexual because when he saw Prodigy kissing him he wasn’t offended. He was surprised and said the mutant was moving “too fast”.
So, there you have it. Young Avengers has become a team of teenage superheroes that’s quite sexually diverse. All of the 15 issues weren’t coming out stories and focused on the greater threat. The sexuality of the characters was mentioned in some panels and the whole topic was presented as something quite normal.
I’m sad the series has been put on hiatus (again!). But reading what the writers had to say in the epilogue of the comic book, I know we’ll see the Young Avengers again soon enough. According to the writers, they didn’t want to drag out the story and would only come back when they have something awesome to share with the readers through the characters. I’m all for waiting for the team to return because I know that when it does it will be something special, just like the 15 issue run that ended this month.
Did you read the new issue? Feel free to share your comments below!
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary
5 thoughts on “Marvel NOW! Young Avengers does wonders for LBGT representation”
I’ve loved Young Avengers and I’m really happy about the LGB representation. One thing: It’s Hawkeye, not Hawkgirl. Unless you’re talking about the DC character.
Thanks for that! Sad that the series came to an end, so soon. Was expecting it to continue because of how they made Wiccan a part of the ‘Marvel NOW!’ one point comic book issue that came out about a year ago. At least they were able to tell a good story and had character development. Can’t wait to see where the characters pop-up next and return as a team again. Loki will be in his Agent of Asgard team. Fingers crossed that the rest show up someplace too.
I think it’s a bit idealistic to say Kate is “probably” bisexual, given that America’s line was mainly a joke, but I do think it’d be fair to say it’s a possibility.
Comments are closed.