Marvel’s Runaways Getting TV Adaptation for Hulu
The Marvel Television Universe may be getting a bit more racially and sexually diverse as a team of talented writers get ready to adapt the Runaways for Hulu.
According to E! Online, Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage will be writing the script. Both will also serve as showrunners if Hulu decides to order a full series.
Runaways was created by Brian V. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona. The series was about a group of teenagers who find out that their parents are super villains. Not wanting to follow in the footsteps of their parents, they decide to run away. At first they don’t get along, but over time they learn how to work as a team and be more of a family to each other.
The series debuted in 2003. The characters included:
- Nico Minrou: The leader of the group and a witch who controls the Staff of One.
- Karolina Dean: The daughter of alien invaders. She is also queer and had a relationship with Xavin.
- Molly Hayes: A mutant who is super strong and near invulnerable.
- Chase Stein: Has mad scientists as parents.
- Alex Wilder: The son of a mafia boss and quite exceptional at coming up with strategies.
- Gertrude Yorkes: The daughter of time-travelling criminals.
- Old Lace: A genetically-engineered dinosaur who shares an empathic link with Gertrude.
- Victor Mancha: Created by Ultron and Marianella Mancha.
- Xavin: Has Skrull overlords as parents and all of the powers of the Fantastic Four. Xavin is queer and had a relationship with Karolina.
- Klara Prast: A Swiss immigrant. She has the power to control plants.
“We’ve known the Runaways story would make great television,” said Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, “and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.” (via Deadline)
I’m excited and looking forward to the TV adaptation of Runaways. No news about the characters and casting has been announced yet. I have my fingers crossed that they include the queer main characters in the team.
What do you think about Hulu picking up rights to Runaways? Let us know!
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
*Read our before commenting.*
Please do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.