In honor of its 30th anniversary, two-time Academy Award-winner (Best Original Score and Best Original Song) The Little Mermaid, dives into the “highly celebrated” Walt Disney Signature Collection with all-new bonus features and a sing-along mode. Keep an eye out for the home release this February!
The upcoming home presentation of The Little Mermaid marks the title’s “first” release Digitally in HD, 4K Ultra HD and Movies Anywhere on February 12, 2019, and on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray on February 26, 2019.
The Signature Edition of The Little Mermaid “showcases its award-winning musical score and iconic songs such as “Under the Sea” and “Part of Your World” with a sing-along mode allowing you to accompany this beloved cast of characters on their journey.”
The “never-before-seen” bonus features bring legendary composer Alan Menken and some of Disney’s most recognizable leading ladies together around a piano to reminisce, sing and celebrate The Little Mermaid.
The latest installment of “Stories from Walt’s Office” compares Walt and Ariel’s love of collecting treasures. Viewers will also receive an inside look at the cast in their original recording sessions, explore hidden treasures and fun facts from the film, and enjoy a special performance of “Part of Your World” by a cappella singing sensation DCapella. Plus, fans will have access to hours of additional classic bonus features!
Based on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairy tale about a beautiful mermaid princess who dreams of becoming human, The Little Mermaid was directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (Aladdin). It features the voice talents of Jodi Benson (Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3) as Ariel, Pat Carroll (Laverne & Shirley) as Ursula, Samuel E. Wright (Broadway’s The Lion King) as Sebastian, Christopher Daniel Barnes (The Brady Bunch Movie) as Eric, Kenneth Mars (Young Frankenstein) as Triton, Buddy Hackett (The Music Man) as Scuttle, Jason Marin (Back to the Future) as Flounder and René Auberjonois (The Patriot) as Chef Louis.
The film was originally released in theaters on November 15, 1989, and is the 28th film from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and the first in what many described as a new Disney animation renaissance.
The Little Mermaid is a deserving title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes “groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations.”
The Blu-ray & Digital Features include:
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
- DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard’s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
The Digital Exclusives are:
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
The bonus features may vary by retailer.
Here are the Product Specifications:
Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K UHD+Blu-ray+Digital Code); Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Code), Digital UHD/HD/SD, DVD and On-Demand
Feature Run Time: Approximately 83 minutes
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
Aspect Ratio: 16×9 1.78
Feel free to share your thoughts about The Little Mermaid being added to the Walt Disney Signature Collection.
Farid has a Double Masters in Psychology and Biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in Molecular Genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville, and The Game Master of Somerville. He gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in whole to other websites. Linkbacks are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiary